Rizokarpaso or Rizokarpasso (Greek ; Ριζοκάρπασο ), Turkish Dipkarpaz is a town on the Karpass Peninsula in north Cyprus, since 1974 is under Turkish occupation. It is the biggest town on the Karpasia. The land around Rizokarpaso consists of terra fusca and is very fertile. Crops include carob, cotton, tobacco and grain. There is a tobacco-factory in the town. During the invasion of 1974, the peninsula was cut off by Turkish troops, and the Greek-speaking inhabitants could not flee to the South. Thus, Rizokarpaso has the biggest Greek-speaking population in the TCKK. The Greek-speaking inhabitants are still supplied by the UN, thus, Greek merchandise can be bought in some of the shops. Today, there is a large Kurdish minority as well, closely supervised by the TCKK police. The town has both a Kafeneion and a Kahvehane that seem to be used indiscriminately by both linguistic groups.
Church in Rizokarpaso [Source]
There are two churches in town: St. Synesios and the church of the Holy Trinity. They are built in the typically Cypriot mixed style, combining features of the late Gothic introduced by the Lusignans and the late Byzantine of the orthodox tradition. When the orthodox bishops were banished by the Lusignans in 1222, the Bishop of Famagusta was sent to Rizokarpaso and was based in St. Synesios, which is still the main orthodox church of the region.
Woman from Rizokarpaso , 1897
Rizokarpaso - Paintings by Demetra Vanezi Liasou
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License