Argyroupoli (Greek: Αργυρούπολη) is a suburb in the southern part of Athens, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the Elliniko-Argyroupoli municipality, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit.
The city's name derives from the Greek words άργυρος (árgyros meaning silver) and πόλη (poli meaning city). The name's older form was Argyroupolis. The first name of the settlement was New Argyroupolis, given by the refugees from Gümüşhane.
Following the exchange of populations, a number of refugges reached Attica from the former Ottoman Empire. In 1926, refugees from Argyroupolis in northeastern Turkey (modern Gümüşhane meaning "silver house") arrived in site, then named Ktima Geroulanou (Greek: Κτήμα Γερουλανου). They named the new settlement Nea Argyroupolis as a remembrance to their old hometown. There was persumambly much resemblance between the two towns as, Argyroupoli is built on a plain with the Hymettus mountain to its north, as Gümüşhane is built on a plain with the Pontic Alps to the north. One of the first tasks of the settlers was to built the church of Αγία Βαρβάρα (St. Barbara), named after the patron saint of the now Turkish city.
The settlement was part of the Kalamaki municipality.
During the Second World War, the settlement was used by the Germans to protect their ammunition and airplanes that were stationes in the nearby airfield. in December 6, 1943, the settlement was bombed by the RAF. Although the were reportedly no casualties amongst the population, the settlement was razed to the ground.
The city is located S of Athens, SE of Piraeus and NW of Sounio. It borders Ilioupoli municipality to the North, Alimos municipality and Elliniko municipal district to the West, Glyfada municipality to the South, while it is bound by Hymettus mountain to the East.
The west hilltop of the Hymettus mountain, that faces Argyroupoli, is mainly covered by grasslands while patches of forests still exist. There have been numerous wildfilres in this hilltop the last decades.
While Argyroupoli is landlocked, the neighbouring cities of Elliniko, Alimos and Glyfada border the Saronic Gulf. The nearest beach is in Alimos.
The city is divided by the Vouliagmenis Avenue, which is a major highway, connecting downtown Athens with the southern suburbs. Numerous public bus lines run through Argyroupoli connecting the city with Athens center and Glyfada, which are the main commercial hubs of the area. The nearest subway station is at Agios Dimitrios station. There are two future subway stations under construction that will be within the city borders.
Kosta Varnali Square in Argyroupoli
In the 1960s and the 1990s, urban development and a few businesses replaced all the farmlands. Businesses are within Vouliagmenis Avenue to the west. Roads are partially lined from north to south. A major avenue is Kyprou avenue that houses many business and cuts the city in half from East to West. The second major avenue is Marinou Geroulanou that houses the major residential areas of the city. The three major shopping districts are Kyprou (Cyprus) Avenue, M.Geroulanou Avenue and part of the Vouliagmenis Avenue.
Argyroupoli has schools, a few lyceums, a few gymnasia, banks, a post office and squares (plateies) including Agia Triada square. In addition its has a state of the art Gymnastics complex. The city's athletic association is called A.O.N.A., meaning Athletic Association of Youth of Argyroupolis.
The suburb is home to many companies, as well as shopping centers, stores and medical facilities.
Argyroupoli has a mild climate, affected by the sea and the mountain.It rarelly snows, but rain is common.During summer, high temperatures are recorded.
Katerina Georgiadou, fashion model
Ioannis Papazisis, actor
Vanessa Adamopoulou, singer
Kostas Tsakonas, actor
^ Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License