- Art Gallery -

Administrative Region : North Aegean
Regional unit : Lesvos

  • Ippeio (Ίππειον) Lesbos
  • Ippeio Lesvos is the largest village of the Municipality of Evergetoula Lesvos with 818 inhabitants according to the 2011 census. The oldest date for its existence is attested in 1567. It is built on one of the most fertile plains of the island full of olive groves with olive groves. , and all kinds of fruits. In the past, cereals, cotton, tobacco were cultivated and in fact it was famous for the excellent production of figs, which it exported. The quality of the soil in combination with the rich and low depth aquifer of the area give impetus to the cultivation of these products and are the main occupation of the inhabitants. Besides, just before the entrance of the village, in the area "Waters" where plenty of water came from antiquity, is today the main water pumping station of the Municipality of Mytilene.

    It is said that the name of the village comes from the word yptios (from the iptios) that is, what is flat or from the word Ypios. The oral tradition attributes it to the horses (horses) that used to be bred in the plain of the village.

    The village is crossed by a main paved road which passes through the main market, with traditional cafes and the village park. Above the main road, known as the above village, the houses are newer as the refugees from Asia Minor settled there. From the upper village one can admire the view to the plain of Ippeio. The old village with the most classic houses is built under the road. In its center, the church of the village dominates, dedicated to Agios Prokopios which dates from 1741. In Ippeio is the high school of the municipality, and the rural doctor's office.

    As part of the excavation works of the sewerage network, it was discovered near the central sector of the village and at a depth of 1.50m. from the road surface a unique and rare burial ensemble for the history and archeology of the early historical times of Lesvos. It is a coffin-shaped tomb made of slate, in which an unmarked burial was discovered in a supine position, probably of a young woman, dating to about 750-700 BC. The deceased was accompanied by five clay ashtrays probably from a lesbian laboratory, such as a cup-crater, a deep and shallow basin, two bowls, as well as jewelry at the height of the pelvis and head, such as gold and bronze, as well as a bone pin. The gold jewelry includes two earrings made of thin gold leaf with the technique of granulation, a large biconical bead, as well as a copper bead, probably from a necklace. To the north of the burial was found a case made of slate which contained a clay ash amphora with its stone cap, as well as a shallow clay basin. The jewelry is an exceptional example of the art of goldsmithing of the early historical times that develops timidly during the 8th century. in the Aegean and mainland Greece and culminated in the 7th and 6th c. e.g. It is pointed out that for the first time a geometric tomb of the late 8th century is excavated in Lesvos. e.g.

    (Source lesvosnews.net)

    See also: Lesbos, Island

    Greece :

    A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M -
    N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
    All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

    Ancient Greece
    Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
    Science, Technology, Arts, , Warfare , Literature, Biographies, Icons, History
    Modern Greece

    Greece

    World

    Index

    Hellenica World