Argyroupoli (Greek: Αργυρούπολη) is a village in the municipality of Lappa, Rethymno Prefecture, Crete, Greece, population 402 (2001 census), altitude 260m. It was previously known as Lappa or Lampa, Stimboli, and Polis.
Population of Argyroupoli 
1928 1940 1951 1961 1971 1981 1991 2001
767 836 704 669 501 453 396 402
It is the site of the ancient city (polis) of Lappa, which became known in the Middle Ages as Stimpolis ("in the city"), later simply Polis. It took its modern name "Silver City" in the 19th century. The name of the municipality of Lappa of which it is a part is a revival of the ancient name for the city.
Lappa was probably a colony of Tarrha.
It was taken by storm and almost entirely destroyed by the Romans. The emperor Octavian Augustus restored it and in consideration of the aid rendered him in his struggle with Marcus Antonius, he bestowed on the citizens their freedom, and with it the right of coinage.
Lappa or Lampa is an episcopal see, suffragan of Gortyn.
The episcopal see is mentioned in the Notitiae episcopatuum as late as the twelfth and thirteenth centuries.
It was re-established by the Orthodox church about the end of the nineteenth century; the bishop resides in the monastery of Preveli.
Lequien (Oriens Christianus, II, 268) mentions from its bishops:
Petrus, who attended the First Council of Ephesus, 431;
Deneltius, at the Council of Chalcedon, 451;
Prosdocius, in 458;
John, who appealed to Rome against his metropolitan Paul, and attended the Council of Constantinople, 667;
Epiphanius at the Second Council of Nicaea, 786.
It remains a titular see of the Catholic Church.
^ Hellenic Statistical Authority, Digital Library (ELSAT), Census (Greek and English)
^ cf. Names of Istanbul#Stamboul
^ Oliver Rackham and Jennifer Moody, The Making of the Cretan Landscape, Manchester University Press, 1996. ISBN 0-7190-3646-1. p. 104
^ "Lampa". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
Unofficial Web site of Argyroupolis
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License