Alifeira (Greek: Αλίφειρα) is a village and a former municipality in Elis, West Greece, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Andritsaina-Krestena, of which it is a municipal unit. The seat of the municipality was in the village of Kallithea. It is north of the Pyrgos-Megalopoli Road, between Krestena and Andritsaina. It is located S of Tropaia and Lampeia, SW of Dimitsana, NW of Andritsaina and Megalopoli, N of Figaleia and E of GR-9/E55.
The municipal unit Alifeira is subdivided into the following communities (constituent villages in brackets):
Alifeira (Alifeira, Pefki)
Amygdalies (Amygdalies, Kato Amygdalies, Keramidi, Krana)
Kallithea (Kallithea, Barakitika)
Livadaki (Livadaki, Ptelea, Raptis)
Myronia (Myronia, Sylimna, Agios Vlasis, Klima, Rama)
Vresto (Vresto, Longo)
Year Kallithea district Alifeira municipality
1981 872 -
1991 1,101 3,169
2001 1,101 3,829
The area are surrounded by mountains and forests full of pines and a few bushes. Much of the municipality is forested. Alifeira is bounded by the Alpheus river to the north.
Alifeira was located in the Parrhasia country, 40 stadia (about 8 km) west of Iraia and was near the ancient boundary with Arcadia and Elis. It took part in the colonization of Megalopolis in 371 BC and was member of the Arcadian League. The name originates from Alipheros, son of Lycaon. In the city featured the temple of Athena. It also had the temple of Asclepius.. From 224 BC, it was entered from Lydiades, tyranny of Megalopolis over the Eleans. It was taken by Philip V Macedon in 219 BC after the plague and after joined the Achaean League where at the time, cut their use on currency. Later, the city was subject to the Romans.
The period between the Byzantine and the Frankish period was mainly unknown. Zacha was ruled by the Ottoman Turks with the exception from 1681 until 1715 with the last of the Venetian rule, it became a part of Greece after the Greek War of Independence. From the early days of the country until 1912, Agia Varvara constituted a part of the municipality of Nonakrida. Until the early 1900s, it was known as Zacha'. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, its buildings were rebuilt and emigration occurred at a higher rate and emigration will be to the lowest, the population lost by 40% between 1981 and 1991 and recovered between 1991 until 2001.
Today, the city has been excavated, the archaeological community founded next to the village. The first excavations was done by Anastasios Orlandos in 1932. The entire ancient city, the temples of Athena and Asclepius, the acropolis, the well and some buildings were founded.
The village has a small school, a church, a small post office, a train station and a square (plateia).
List of places in the Ilia prefecture
^ Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
^ Pausanias Eleaca
^ Arhees poleis perix tis Olympias (Αρχαίες πόλεις πέριξ της Ολυμπίας = Ancient Cities Other Than Olympia = Vasilis Taktikos, Athanassios Kourmatzi, Vasiliki Taktikou, Anadrasi Athens 2002
^ (Αρχαίες πόλεις πέριξ της Ολυμπίας = Ancient Cities Other Than Olympia = Vasilis Taktikos, Athanassios Kourmatzi, Vasiliki Taktikou, Anadrasi Athens 2002
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License