Agios Georgios (Greek: Άγιος Γεώργιος, named for Saint George) is a community located at 37.7025°N 21.4353°ECoordinates: 37.7025°N 21.4353°E, about 2 km north of Pyrgos. It is part of the municipality of Pyrgos. It is located on a road connecting Pyrgos with Oinoi and Simopoulo. The nearby communities are Lasteika to the north, Lampeti to the east and Pyrgos to the south and west. Its closest hospital is about 1.5 km west. Distance from the by-pass (both GR-9 and GR-74, eastbound/E55) is slightly north of the centre. The hills are founded east of the community. The municipality of Iardanos is north of the village.
The village is amphitheatrically located and offers a view of the city of Pyrgos.
Population: around 1,000
Postal code: 271 00
Elevation:about 5 m
Dialing code: +30-26210
Location and transportation
The village has about 3 km of paved road, 5 km of gravel road and has about 4 to 5 km of hydro and phone lines.
The village began to settle in the early parts of the last century (1900-1920), it had an historic source as it said it was in the Castle (Kastro) area, not far from the village had an old fortress which does not have today. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, some of its houses has been rebuilt but mainly escaped damages. Since the 1980s, housing has been developing and grew its population to over 1,000 but suffered some slowdowns.
The village has a small school, a church, a square (plateia). Until the 1960s, the area was mainly a rural town. Now, it is a suburb of Pyrgos. Farmlands are north of the community and forests to its east.
Football (soccer) club
The village has a soccer (football) club with its prefectural team known as Nikiforos (named after Nicephorus) which has a pre-war history.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License