Agia Triada, Google Earth
Agia Triada, August 2004, Photo: Agon S. Buchholz
Agia Triada ("Holy Trinity") is a Minoan site in southern Crete, 4 km west of Phaistos, situated at the western end of the Mesara Plain. The site was not one of the "palaces" of Minoan Crete, but rather a well-to-do town, and possibly a royal villa. After the catastrophe of 1450 BC, the town was rebuilt and remained inhabited until the 2nd century BC. Later, a Roman period villa was built at the site. Nearby are two chapels, Agia Triada and Agios Georgios, built during the Venetian period, as well as the deserted village of Agia Triada, destroyed by the Turks in 1897. Found at the site was the famous sarcophagus of Agia Triada, now at the Archaeological Museum in Iraklion.
Aerial view of Agia Triada
Agia Triada Plan
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License