Kathikas (Greek : Κάθηκας) us one of the Laona villages in the Paphos district of Cyprus. It is situated on a plateau 23 kilometers north of Paphos. It has an altitude of 645m and a population of 333. It is well known for its grape production, most notably sultana grapes. It also has a flourishing agrotourism industry.
Things to See
1. Panayia Evangelistrais Church
2. Ayios Ounoufrios Church
3. Sterna Winery
4. Ayios Onoufrios Winery
There is also a Tourist information bureau in Kathikas
Places to Eat
1. Farm Yard Tavern
2. Araouzos Tavern
3. Imogens Tavern
Places to Stay
1. Loxandra's House.
2. Michalis' Anoyia.
Environs of Kathikas
1. A visit to the magnificent Avakas gorge is a must for nature lovers.
2. The spooky Gravity Hill of Kathikas. A gravity hill is a place where the layout of the surrounding land produces the optical illusion that a very slight downhill slope appears to be an uphill slope. Thus, a car left out of gear will appear to be rolling uphill.[]
3. The rugged beauty of Akamas. One of the last unspoilt areas of the Mediterranean
4. The ruins of the abandoned village of Old Theletra. The inhabitants of Theletra were move in the 1980s due to fears over landslides.
Kypros Chrysostomides politician and member of the Cypriot parliament was born in Kathikas
Kyriacos Mavronikolas defence minister in the Tassos Papadopoulos governmemt was born in Kathikas
George Georghiou director of Cyprus Airways was born in Kathikas
Andrew Demetriou, chief executive officer of the Australian Football League - his mother was born in Kathikas
Kathikas In The News
On April 7, 2000, a Kathikas man was arresting in connection with the theft of an ancient sarcophagus.
On February 24, 2007, the residents of Kathikas awoke to the news that two of the locals had been murdered.
Annual Events and Celebrations
25 March - Feast Day of the church of Panayia Evangelistrais
31 March - Feast Day of Ayios Ipatios
12 June - Feast Day of Ayios Ounoufrios
17 July - Feast Day of Ayia Marina
August - Festival of the Grapes
It is also interesting to visit Kathikas during Orthodox Easter
Community Council President: Tourvas Menelaos
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License