Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp (Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten Antwerpen)
The eggs trader, Joachim Beuckelaer
Peasant fair, Hans Bol
Antwerp, Nourishing the Painters, Theodoor Boeyermans
The de Bie family, Theodoor Boeyermans
Return from the hunt, Jan Baptist Boel II and Theodoor Boeyermans
The envoy, Theodoor Boeyermans
The visit, Theodoor Boeyermans
Cleopatra testing poisons on condemned prisoners, Alexandre Cabanel
Pierson La Hues, Gillis Coignet
Portrait of a Man, Lucas Cranach the Younger
Portrait of the Painter Marten Pepyn, Anthony van Dyck
Sunday in the Bois de Boulogne, Henri Evenepoel
Portrait of a Girl as a Huntress, Caesar van Everdingen
St. Barbara, Jan van Eyck
Madonna Surrounded by Seraphim and Cherubim, Jean Fouquet
Portrait of Stephan Geraedts, Frans Hals
Scaldis and Antwerpia, Abraham Janssens
The Mockery of the Owl, Jan van Kessel the Elder
St. Jerome in a Landscape, Cornelis Massys
Judith, Jan Massys
Entombment, Quentin Massys
St. Magdalena, Quentin Massys
Portrait of a man with an antique coin, Hans Memling
Seated Nude, Amedeo Modigliani
Flight to Egypt, Joachim Patinir
St. Jerome in a Landscape, Joachim Patinir
Landscape with Fables, Adriaen van Stalbemt
Kermesse in the countryside, Pieter Stevens II
Mary appears to Saint William of Aquitaine, Pieter Thijs
Portiuncula, Pieter Thijs
Family Portrait, Cornelis de Vos
The Emperor's Toll, Marten de Vos
St Luke Painting the Virgin Mary, Marten de Vos
The Temptation of St Antony, Marten de Vos
The Adoration of the Magi, Artus Wolffort
The Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp (Dutch: Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten Antwerpen) is a museum in Antwerp, Belgium, founded in 1810, houses a collection of paintings, sculptures and drawings from the fourteenth to the twentieth centuries. This collection is representative of the artistic production and the taste of art enthusiasts in Antwerp, Belgium and the Northern and Southern Netherlands since the 15th century. The museum is closed for renovation until the end of 2017.
The neoclassical building housing the collection is one of the primary landmarks of the Zuid district of Antwerp. The majestic building was designed by Jacob Winders (1849–1936) and Frans van Dijk (1853-1839), built beginning in 1884, opened in 1890, and completed in 1894. Sculpture on the building includes two bronze figures of Fame with horse-drawn chariots by sculptor Thomas Vincotte, and seven rondel medallions of artists that include Boetius à Bolswert, Frans Floris, Jan van Eyck, Peter Paul Rubens, Quentin Matsys, Erasmus Quellinus II, and Appelmans, separated by four monumental sculptures representing Architecture, Painting, Sculpture, and Graphics.
The building stands in gardens bounded by the Leopold de Waalplaats, the Schildersstraat, the Plaatsnijdersstraat, and the Beeldhouwersstraat.
The museum's collection began with the artworks owned by the Antwerp Guild of Saint Luke, which was active from the late 14th century to 1773. When the guild disbanded, its gallery of paintings went to the Academy of Fine Arts, which had been founded in 1663 with the involvement of David Teniers. The gallery had works by Peter Paul Rubens, Jacob Jordaens, and Cornelis de Vos. During French occupations in 1794 and 1796, art was looted from churches and other buildings in Antwerp; the pieces that were later recovered became part of the museum's collection. By 1817 the museum listed 127 items in its catalogue, mostly dating to the mid-16th and 17th centuries, with Rubens at the heart of the collection.
William I of the Netherlands helped the museum in various ways. In 1823 he donated three paintings, including an early work by Titian—Pope Alexander IV presents Jacopo Pesaro to Saint Peter—which became the museum's first foreign piece. He decreed a grant of 20,000 guilders to build the collection's contemporary art in 1827, but the Belgian Revolution interfered. Only in 1873 did the museum begin to acquire living artists' works.
A significant bequest from a former mayor of Antwerp, Florent van Ertborn, added 141 works to the collection in 1840. Van Ertborn had collected Early Netherlandish art at a time when it was out of favour, but in the long run this addition ensured the museum's reputation. These works included Jan van Eyck's Saint Barbara and Madonna at the Fountain and Rogier van der Weyden's Portrait of Philip de Croy (half of a diptych) and the Seven Sacraments Altarpiece. Also in the bequest were paintings by Hans Memling, Dieric Bouts, Joachim Patinir, Quinten Massys, Jean Fouquet, Simone Martini, Antonello da Messina, and Lucas Cranach.
Jean Fouquet, Virgin and Child Surrounded by Angels
Hans Memling, Portrait of a Man with a Roman medal
The Education of Mary by Peter Paul Rubens.
Artists exhibited in the museum include:
Jan van Eyck
Rogier van der Weyden
Frans Floris de Vriendt
Marten de Vos
Erasmus de Bie
Jan Brueghel the Elder
Anthony van Dyck
Peter Paul Rubens
Henry van de Velde
Gustave Van de Woestijne
Marechals, Els and de Jong, Leen. Introduction ("The History of the Royal Museum in Antwerp"). The Royal Museum in Antwerp.