National Gallery of Slovenia
Hercules at the Crossroads, Giovanni Baglione
Rinaldo and Armida, Gregorio Lazzarini
The National Gallery of Slovenia (Slovene: Narodna galerija) is the national art gallery of Slovenia. It is located in the capital Ljubljana.
The Slovenian National Gallery was founded in 1918, after the dissolution of Austria-Hungary and the establishment of the State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs. Initially, it was hosted in the Kresija Palace of Ljubljana, but moved to the present location in 1925.
The present building was built in 1896, during the administration of Mayor Ivan Hribar, whose ambition was to transform Ljubljana into a representative capital of all the Slovene Lands. It was designed by the Czech architect František Škabrout and was first used as a Slovenian cultural center (Narodni dom) as the central seat of various cultural associations of national importance. The building stands near Tivoli Park and will have been completely renovated by 2015.
In the early 1990s, an extension to the main building was built by the Slovene architect Edvard Ravnikar. In 2001, a large transparent glass gallery, designed by the architects Jurij Sadar and Boštjan Vuga, was built to connect the two wings of the building.
The gallery hosts a permanent art collection from the Middle Ages to the early 20th century. The original of the Baroque Robba fountain can also be seen in the central glass gallery of the building, where it was moved after extensive restoration in 2008.
The notable Slovene and European artists whose works are exhibited in the gallery include:
Giovanni Andrea Carlone
Frans Francken II
Élisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun
Cornelis de Wael
Art of Slovenia
Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana